Alternative energy resources

World Watch on Channel News Asia 15 Oct 2009

Just saw this report on TV – in Iceland, all the electricity is generated from renewable energy resources. 80% of the electricity is generated from hydro sources - rivers and glaciers and the other 20% from geothermal source. Geothermal sources are also used to heat houses and warm the roads so that it is snow free in winter. I am truly impressed that a country can be fully dependent on renewable natural resources to produce adequate energy supply for the country.

As countries developed, the need for energy resources has increased and there is a real urgency in looking at alternative energy resources. In Brazil most of the cars run on biofuel - ethanol produced from sugar cane. We are also looking into producing biofuel from palm oil. Of course there are still controversies in the use of biofuel as an alternative as its production takes up agricultural land which could have otherwise used for food production.

Read Users' Comments (1)comments

1 Response to "Alternative energy resources"

  1. James Anderson, on December 27, 2018 at 1:32 PM said:

    What an amazing story. Thanks for sharing. I think the power crisis is a very common problem that we all have to face sometimes. In a situation like this I think we must look for some alternate energy resource. Let me inform you that only recently I came across an amazing device that is powered by alternate energy resources. The simple device namely "Power Efficiency Guide" has the power to generate an insane amount of energy which might last for several hours in case of such a crisis. I think you can also try it out at once.